Friday, September 12, 2014

Spaghetti Squash

I am so excited about this, that I think it deserves a whole blog post!  I am in the middle of a Whole30 food journey.  I'll try to write more about that later.  (If you're interested, google it...it's amazing).  Anyway, I am finding new and healthier ways to eat some of our favorites around our home.

I had tried Spaghetti Squash several years ago, but being that I didn't know what I was doing, I bought a "Summer Sqaush."  Let me just tell you - IT'S NOT THE SAME!

So this week, I stumbled upon Spaghetti Squash at the Market that I buy my produce.  It was awesome!  I was expecting to be disappointed (like last time) but no, sir!

Here's what you need:

1 Spaghetti Squash
1 can crushed tomatoes
1/2 to 1 onion
2-4 cloves of fresh garlic
1 lb of hamburger (lean, organic, grass-fed) OR turkey burger
Spices: oregano, basil, italian

Instructions:

1 - Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2 - Cut Squash into half (this is a little difficult, so get a sharp knife and your muscles and be careful).
3 - Clean out the seeds and strings.  Rub Olive oil all over the two halves of the squash.  I also dumped some salt and pepper on it too.
4 - Place, cut side down, into a baking dish.  Put about 1/2-in to 1-in of water in the bottom of the dish.  Bake for 45-50 Minutes. Set out and let cool enough that you can handle it.
5 - Cut your onion and mince your garlic.  Cook this with your meat, while you're browning your meat.
6 - Once the meat is browned, turn heat down to low and add the crushed tomatoes. I did not measure my seasonings, but I added some oregano, basil and italian seasonings as well as salt and pepper.
7 - Once your squash is cooled, you hold it up and use a fork to "brush" out the meat of the squash.  It just rubs out and looks like noodles!

ENJOY!

0 comments:

Post a Comment